Be Human. Be Relevant. That was the rallying cry of Biz Stone, co-founder and creative director of Twitter, at the PRSA 2012 International Conference.
With a successful social media track record longer than most Wikipedia entries, Biz has changed the way people around the world communicate by helping launch Twitter and other successful social media services like Xanga, Blogger, Odeo, and The Obvious Corporation.
After his highly-anticipated keynote address, I sat down with Biz to discuss some of the year’s most talked about trends, including content creation and consumption, brand humanization and an inside look into one of the top 10 most visited websites on the Internet, Twitter.
Here’s what we discussed with Biz Stone:
- Quality content is clearly needed in today’s online environment. What’s the next evolution of content? What types of content do consumers want and expect from brands?
- Publishing platforms are evolving as consumer needs evolve. What is the right publishing platform for today’s media landscape?
- The way people consume content is changing. Tell us about your new platform, Medium, and how it’s set up for success in today’s content-driven world.
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR) should be important to all companies. Oftentimes it’s an add-on or an afterthought. Talk about how you uniquely fused CSR into the building of the Twitter empire.
- As a company built on transparent communication, tell us about your internal communication philosophy at Twitter.
- At the onset, it wasn’t clear that Twitter would be this successful. When did you know Twitter was going to be a worldwide phenomenon?
- If brands are considering adding Twitter to their marketing mix, what do you recommend as a first step?